Thursday, March 1, 2007

Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile

My son doesn't just like trains. He also likes crocodiles. On a recent trip to the library, he picked out "Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile" by Tomie dePaola. Now I know dePaola is a famous author who has written and illustrated tons of books, but somehow we haven't read many. However, this book is so fun that we will look for more.
Bill is the crocodile and Pete is his friend and his toothbrush (remember those birds that clean the crocodile's teeth?). They go to school and learn all about their neighborhood, the Nile river. The class is thrilled to go on a field trip to see mummies, pyramids, and the Sphinx (which Bill calls the "Stinks" until Pete corrects him). Then Bill and Pete get to catch a Bad Guy who is trying to steal from the museum. It is simple, charming little story. My kids love how the little crocodiles all say, "OOOOOO" as they see each famous site. The illustrations are adorable - the page showing all the little crocodiles in a line climbing up the side of a pyramid makes me laugh every time I see it.
This book has been a particular hit at our house because while my son likes the crocodiles, my daughter is crazy about ancient Egypt. But I think most kids age 3-7 or so would enjoy it. It is cute, funny, and beautifully illustrated. And I've just discovered on www.tomie.com that there are other Bill and Pete books! Off to the library we go...

No comments: