Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"The Party, After You Left"

I took the kids to school, then spent the day sick in bed. I was so happy that I had picked up "The Party, After You Left" at the library yesterday, because I needed something to cheer me up. It is a book of cartoons by Roz Chast, who publishes many of her cartoons in the New Yorker magazine.
Chast's cartoons range across subjects from gravestones (at Mom's Mortuary, one reads, "He Moved to Florida and BOOM: Five Minutes Later He Was Dead" and another, "She Was Never the Same after that Crackpot Diet" - only works if you read with a New Yawk accent), to magazines ("Schadenfreude Monthly" is my favorite), to families (in "Dream Parents" the smiling dad says, "You're going out with Johnny? Oooh, I saw his name in the Police Log! He's FAMOUS!")
Of course, these may not sound funny at all since you aren't seeing the cartoon. But trust me, they are very funny in person. Assuming that your sense of humor is similar to mine and that of other people who flip through the New Yorker and read all the cartoons before even starting any articles.

No comments: